Discover Credit Card Review: A Complete Guide (2023)
Plastic cards are an essential accessory for modern individuals, providing a fast and secure way to pay for services and goods. They are convenient for shoppers and service consumers because they don't need to carry large sums of cash — it's enough to have a bank card in your pocket.
According to a study by Mastercard conducted in April 2020, 79% of respondents worldwide stated that they use contactless payments. And this figure only increases every year.
Notably, plastic cards have many advantages for consumers and banks: attracting new customers, increasing turnover, online privacy protection, and reducing overhead expenses. However, with such a wide variety of debit and credit plastic cards that allow customers to pay for goods and services, it may be difficult to choose a particular one.
In this article, we will discuss Discover credit cards, a financial instrument issued by the company with the same name. Experts from Rates have prepared a detailed Discover credit card guide, where you will learn about the advantages and Discover credit card features. So, let’s get right to it.
Discover Credit Card Types: Complete Overview
Let's take a look at the most popular credit card types offered by Discover:
Discover Cash Back
One of the best credit cards that offers 5% cashback on purchases up to $1,500 for certain categories of merchandise and 1% for all other purchases. Categories eligible for higher cashback rotate every three months, which can be an advantage or drawback depending on your purchasing habits.
A great option for those looking for a travel credit card with no annual fee and a simple rewards structure. Cardholders earn 1.5 miles for every dollar spent on purchases with no restrictions. These miles can be then redeemed for various travel-related expenses like flights or hotels.
Discover Student Cash Back
It is an excellent choice for students with a limited credit history who want to earn a high cashback percentage on their everyday expenses without an annual fee. However, obtaining approval for a credit card application can be quite challenging.
Discover Secured Credit Card
This one belongs to Discover credit cards for beginners. If this is your first time dealing with credit, you won't find a better card. It is unique because it offers nice perks, unlike most other cards. You'll be required to make a security deposit, but it is a great way to build your credit history and then opt for more profitable options.
Discover Balance Transfer
In our Discover credit cards review, this one is suitable for those who often accumulate credit debt. You can take advantage of the 0% APR offer and thus avoid interest payments for a certain period, saving hundreds (or thousands) of dollars.
If you're looking for a simple credit card with cashback, Discover Chrome is the best option. The card offers 2% cashback on the first $1,000 combined gas station and restaurant purchases each quarter (1% after that). You can get an extra $20 in your wallet if you max out this category.
Features and Discover Credit Card Benefits
The primary advantage of the Discover cards is the high cashback rates for purchases and service payments. These rates vary depending on the purchase category (e.g., gas, groceries, or specific seasonal categories). Considering the card's free maintenance, you can achieve significant financial benefits:
- Cashback Match: This loyalty program doubles the cashback you accumulate during the first year of card usage.
- Additional Bonuses: Depending on the card type, a Discover credit card may offer bonuses for new customers, such as a welcome bonus with extra cashback for the first few months of use.
- 0% Balance Transfers: Some Discover cards offer 0% APR for balance transfers, allowing you to move debt from one credit card to another with lower interest rates or other favorable terms. This can help reduce the overall cost of debt, especially if your current credit card has a high-interest rate and additional fees.
- Purchase Protection: Some Discover cards protect your purchases for a specified period (usually 90 days) in case of loss, theft, or damage to the items you purchased using the credit card.
- Credit History Reporting: Discover offers the opportunity to build credit history, allowing you to monitor and improve your credit scores as needed.
- Free Access to FICO Score: Discover credit cardholders can access their FICO credit score for free. This allows you to monitor your credit history and keep track of its status.
- Contactless Technologies: Most Discover cards support contactless technologies, making purchases faster and more convenient.
However, despite all the advantages, it's important to pay attention to Discover card reviews, explore the limits on rewards, and the features of each card type to make the right choice.
Discover credit cards are incredibly convenient financial tools offering favorable terms, including:
- High cashback rates on specific items.
- Free maintenance.
- Purchase protection.
- Access to FICO Score credit rating, and more.
Discover offers various card types, including cashback cards, travel reward cards, student credit cards, and cards for those building or rebuilding their credit history. Carefully analyze the features and benefits of each card to choose the one that aligns with your needs and financial goals.
What is a Discover credit card?
Discover credit card is a financial tool issued by Discover Financial Services that offers a range of benefits and features, including high cashback percentages, travel rewards, and various perks for cardholders.
How do cashback rewards work with Discover credit cards?
Cashback is one of the useful Discover credit card features. It allows cardholders to get back some of the money spent on purchasing goods or paying for services. The cashback percentage may vary depending on the card type and product category. Some cards offer a fixed rate for all purchases, regardless of the category. Discover also provides various tools and resources for monitoring cashback rewards and tracking their accumulation, including access to an account.
Is there an annual fee for Discover credit cards?
Many Discover credit cards are known for not having an annual usage fee. However, it's important to note that some cards, especially those offering premium rewards and benefits, may have a fee. Therefore, before applying for one, carefully review the terms and conditions.